RE: [Harp-L] all this "Butter" talk...

This sure is a lot of talk about Paul Butterfield, who's playing I happen to love.  I think the context of when he happened is also a key to why he was so influential. As an earlier post indicated he really was a trailblazer, in bringing blues harmonica into the rock scene and pushing even further. He was the first white frontman to make harmonica the focus, playing along side the guitar in rock venues like the Fillmore; playing as hard and fast as Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop. His first album came out in 1965 with a cover photo showing his mixed race band, and the first track is Born In Chicago. Talk about staking out new territory. He was the first one there, with attitude to spare...
As far as recordings go, I would refer to two of my favorites that have not been touched on: The Same Thing from "Fathers and Sons" and Going Downtown from Muddy's Woodstock album. What more can I say, I'm a total fan.
JIM