Re: [Harp-L] Re: Teeth Implants

Michael Easton wrote:
The downside is cost.  If your student plans on being around another
20+ years and has the money  have
them go for the implants.

I had nine teeth removed from the back of my mouth earlier this year. Frankly it hasn't been anywhere near as lousy as you'd imagine. Heck, I'd almost recommend it.

I started looking into implants at once. In LA the average cost was about $4K per implant. $36K to replace mine? On a harmonica player's salary?

So I checked around and found out that a couple of friends had just gone to Delhi to do some 'medical tourism.' That is, the wife needed both hips replaced. In LA she was quoted as high as $140K and not much lower and she has the same crummy insurance everyone else has. They did some research and found that in Delhi should could get this work, highly recommended, for about $15K.

While they were there, her husband got a great deal of dental work, which had been quoted as being over $20K in LA. He got it for under $3K in Delhi.

Both my friends had incredible experiences, and what is turning out to be superlative work. His American dentist took a look at all the dental work in his mouth and proclaimed it to be first rate. All in the came back to LA about $20K lighter, but she can walk again and he can chew his peanuts.

Well, my friends put me in contact with the Delhi dentist, who looked at my Xrays (yay for digital Xrays) and quoted me a price of $1K per implant. $9K is doable for me. But there are issues, because you don't just walk in bare and walk out with implants. The stems have to be implanted in your jaw and then you have to wait for a significant period before the final teeth are put in. I can't stay in Delhi for months, I'm an important man with emails to write. There is some possibility of doing the posts and having the actual implants made in India, and then having my LA dentist perform the installation some months later.

But I have recently heard --- this could be total baloney --- that up in Utah dentists charge about a grand an implant. I'd way prefer going to Utah.

Anyone know about this?