Re: [Harp-L] Posted review ignored ?

On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Abner Galdos wrote:

cant seem to get into it<
I posted my wife's review on Harp-L , regarding seeing Jason play Tuesday night. I have not seen any reply to it.
I'm getting mix, conflicting emotions here.

Why Abner?. I read the review and there isn't a thing I could even ATTEMPT to add. I thought it was right on the money and I felt the same way.

Let me be frank and honest here. I was never a real died in the wool blues fan. Although in the last few weeks I have been playing STRICTLY blues, this is not my normal world. Why? Well, some history. While we were very poor when I was a small child, my father gradually progressed in the state dept and by the time I graduated from high school, we were pretty well off. Sooo, even though my sisters got an allowance and I didn't, and I shined shoes on the Staten Is ferry, and collected pop bottles, and ripped scrap metals out of appliances at the Staten Is dump for the trade in, I never really experienced what one could call hard times.

I 'could' lay claim to the blues using several personal tragedies as a hook, but I don't think it would wash.

As an Italian/Polish person, the whole blues 'History' thing was worlds away. My families came here in 1881 & 1905. Into Baltimore. I really can't identify with blues, and according to the astute observation(s) of one of our more knowledgeable members..I SHOULDN't. I spent 10 months as a hobo before joining the navy and in that time I saw MANY of the greats. While they still breathed. I hav played harp a long time. It still doesn't qualify me on the subject.

Having said all that, I don't look at Jason as strictly a blues player. I see him as a GENIUS. Yes, it took him a lot of time and work to get to this point. He wasn't always good and maybe if I had known him earlier, I would say something like: "He's come a long way". But it didn't happen that way. I saw him SUDDENLY and I was M E S M E R I Z E D. And I gotta tell you, with the exception of maybe Roscoe Selley, that ain't happened often with me.

This is why 'I' (as an island) never responded. I just sat back, read, and smiled. I have a suspicion that it is very well may BE because Jason and the guys aren't 'strictly' blues and strictly parroting others, that they are somewhat resented by some, maybe more trad blues lovers. I don't care, In my case. Jason, Shawn, Todd & (I don't know the new drummer).........RULE.

In one case go see him and in the other case just ignore my wife's review.

You may be surprised. I don't think anything is being ignored.

Ok its a big week end, and maybe I will post it again on Tuesday.....

abner (BluEyes, just wondering)
  -