[Harp-L] 6/30/2009 Review on Jason Ricci By Mrs. BluEyes (Connie)

  If anyone Has Jason Ricci's personal email address pls foward this to him.

  RE:  Jason Ricci & New Blood â Took me two days to come down and right this.

  I bought myself a Marine Band âcheapieâ at Cracker Barrel a few years ago.  Thought Iâd like the experience of âfiddlinâ around trying to make decent sounds come out of it.  My mom could play.  Why not me? Somehow, it wound up in the hands of my husband, whose use was therapeutic â he is a chronic asthmatic.  But over time, he started getting more serious about playing, and he started researching and purchasing Lee Oskars and other Marines to begin with.  Then his close friend and co-worker, a guitar player, got excited at the prospect of playing with my husband.

   Now, they get together almost every Sunday and jam.  My husbandâs harp collection has grown to over a dozen, including Suzukis, Turbos,  to which I have contributed several, I must say.  My favorite is his Seydel 1847 in G, with which I gifted him on Fatherâs Day (heâs my Daddy!).  Now weâre awaiting delivery of a Kalamazoo from Greg Heumann to go along with his bullet mic.

   Weâve listened to so many incredible artists over the past year.  And weâve gone to see Corky Siegel and Charlie Musselwhite, which helped to solidify our love of harmonica music, particularly the blues.

  Through harp-l Abner has âmetâ Jason Ricci, whose music weâve heard through his website.  Itâs right up our alley.  When we discovered he was coming to town, of course we planned weeks in advance to be in attendance.  Sitting as close as possible to the stage (at one of the bars in Bostonâs on the Beach, Delray Beach, Florida) we (Abner, Marilu, Scott, Richard and me) got to watch the set up and feel the excitement building. The following âreviewâ if you will, comes from someone who is NOT a harp player, but a music lover.

  As  musicians, Jason Ricci and New Blood blew me away!  The passion and emotion was so clearly apparent.  The level of musicianship was second to none.  These guys were consummate professionals whose love of what they were doing was prevalent to fame or fortune.  Kind of like baseball players when they played for love of the game.

  Jasonâs stage presence was all-encompassing.  I got the feeling I was as necessary to him as he was to me in that the sharing of the music was what it was all about. I kept thinking of a young child who does something he is impressed with and surprised at, and this child canât wait to show everybody else â but show because heâs amazed not because he wants praise.  I could see and feel Abnerâs joy as he listened intently to a level of playing that I can only describe as complete, although I have no doubt Jason will continue to grow, as all great artists to.  This was Mariluâs first harp show and she was so moved, it has stayed with her.

   Guitarist Shawn Starski was amazing.  He made playing that guitar look easy.  The sounds he created were mystical and magical and as a Santana fan I know and appreciate guitar playing.  His accompaniment was flawless, the melodies carrying me well beyond any expectations I naively brought with me.  Bendiciones, Boricua!  Blessings to you, my fellow Puerto Rican â my mom was from the island, too.

   Buck Weed!  AKA Todd Edmunds, wow, what a bass player.  I just loved watching him funk out.  His solos were so rhythmic, I couldnât keep still.  He knows he is a master and he has no problem sharing that with the audience.  And, like a true master, he doesnât flaunt it, doesnât act jaded or insincere.  Truly a master.  His melodic solo was transcendental.  His manner, just as those of his bandmates, was down-to-earth and approachable.

  Ed Michaels, Drummer Extraordinaire!  Keeping time with so much more than the music, he sat on his throne sending waves of energy that picked up the music of his bandmates and drove it onto the shores of the dance floor.  Our senses were drenched.

  And that is the best way I can describe being a witness to the music of Jason Ricci and New Blood.  I gladly gave over my senses.   The music was alive.  Every form was vivid and rich, whether it was dirty blues, reggae, funk, all of it.  It came in through the pores and never really exited.  And thatâs alright.  And true for every person I spoke to that was in the place.  I can close only with this â when will he be back in the area to touch my soul again, for I am now, a believer?

  ~ Mrs. BluEyes

Dell Summer Savings: Cool Deals on Popular Laptops - Shop Now!