To: <Philharpn@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <dvelton@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] klezmer on chromatic harp

Hi Phil -

Your totally correct about needing multiple chorms to play chords in all the keys. Personally I don't mind staying away from chords, only using them on those occasions where they happen to fit. And playing in all keys has helped my overall playing a lot.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Hi again chrome harp fans!

By the way, I gave the affirmative short answer first: YES YOU CAN PLAY everything on a standard C chrome. But if you want the full story, go back and read my epic response.

One thing I failed to mention is that with a custom-tuned minor key chrome -- you get the minor chord that goes with the key on the blow reeds and possibly two notes on the draw to go with the key.

This chord access is one reason why an A key chrome would be better to play tunes in the key of A --so you could get the A chord to comp with. If you won't need the chord, skip this issue.

I don't have any minor tuned chromes, but I have several brands of C chromes in 12 and 16 configurations and a bunch of different keys in Herings and CX-12s. Why did I buy so many different keys? I wanted to try them out.

Why would I spend my money? I can read music. So my C chromes would work for just about every situation. I'm not the greatest sight reader but I can work my way through lots of sheet music. But I just liked the idea of having a chrome in more than one key. You get the right tools for the job.

Phil Lloyd
Hope this helps

Digression: Ultimately, if someone likes the sound of a free read: Why fool around with a mouth harmonica when you can play an all-blow keyboard harmonica like Hohner Melodica (piano 36 keys) and arguably more chords than a Harmonetta. Plus, anyone who ever put his hand on a keyboard can play a Melodica.

AND EVEN those who never played a keyboard can make sense out of it. I bought a Melodica for about $150 back in 1970 -- the only portable keyboard I could afford as a beginning suburban daily newspaper reporter when a Fender Rhodes stage piano cost about $2,000 (half my salary at the time).

I've looked at the Harmonetta key layout and unless a player can straddle more than one key at a time, you're limited to 8 notes at a time(no thumb notes). Whereas the Melodica --the red haired stepchild of the harmonica world -- easily allow 10 notes (and even more if you hit two keys with one finger).

Plus, Harmonettas a rare, expensive, and expensive to repair and re-tune. Not to mention difficult to play. (Of course, nothing is difficult if you know how to do it. Reading music is not difficult at all, but most harmonica players don't for a variety of reasons.)

If they were still being produced, I might be interested in buying a new one. But they would probably cost $1,000 or more -- hard for me to justify at this point.

End of digression