From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx <EGS1217@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] re: Today?s lesson
To: Franze52@xxxxxxx
Cc: martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 6:17 PM

Martin, perhaps being from Sweden, simply has it backwards. Junior Wells & Buddy Guy weren't copying Pimps, it was the other way around.

And as far as 'originality' is concerned,  Jr. Wells last album before his death was nominated for a Grammy, and he won the WC Handy award in 1996. >From this review from the 1970's it seems Martin's quite in the minority with his opinion of JW's playing during that era, although anyone can have an off night, n'est-ce-pas?:

"Robert Palmer, a music critic of The New York Times, saw a 1978 performance at the Bottom Line in Greenwich Village and wrote that their set included a ''breathtaking country blues, done as a duet, some gritty slow blues in a more urban vein, and some chunky, convincing funk.'' ''Mr. Guy tended to be subdued and delicate on guitar and passionate vocally,'' he added, ''while Mr. Wells proves once again that he was the only performer who convincingly bridges the gap between old-fashioned Delta blues and the soul stylings of James Brown, without slighting either.''

Elizabeth

Message: 11