Re: [Harp-L] klezmer on chromatic harp

p.s. Correction: I should not have said "Music of all kinds..." below. There are of course many kinds of music that are strictly bound to a single key or mode throughout a given piece. Likewise, there are many kinds of music that tend to contain subtle or not-so-subtle key changes from bar to bar.

- Slim.

Slim Heilpern wrote:
Hi -

With respect to Phil's long answer, I would respectfully disagree with the assertion that it's easier to learn how to play in one or two keys and that the more chromatics in different keys and tunings you can afford to have around the easier everything will be. Some fine chromatic players will of course disagree with me on this point, it's a fun topic ;-).

Music of all kinds, including Klezmer, is not really that static. There are often subtle key changes within the course of a song. If you learn how to play in every key on a single chromatic, the benefits are very great, and you don't have the confusion of using different tunings for different styles -- the notes are always in the same place, you simply learn to navigate them the best you can. Some things will be more difficult with this approach and some things will be easier -- that's why there is no absolute right or wrong way to go.

I'd also like to mention that "the constant use of the lever" (as Phil puts it) is not a negative thing. The slide is your friend and on a reasonably well-maintained chromatic is not something to avoid. It's there to be used as much as you like and should cause no discomfort, even if you end up doing 90% of a particular song with the button in.

Is learning all the keys on a single chromatic a daunting task? It depends on your approach and how much patience you have. Start with one key, then tackle a second... Over time, it will all get to be a lot easier. You'll be able to play in many contexts and styles because your knowledge of the layout of the chromatic is transferable to all styles, and to some degree even to other instruments. In my opinion, you will end up a far better player and possibly a far better all around musician with this approach.

Hope this helps....

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com