[Harp-L] Ghost Notes and Equal Temperament

J. R.,

You write:

Personally, I wouldn't use any of the very subjective terms you've
used to describe them, as all have their uses--people like Jimmy
Reed, John Lee Williamson and others didn't seem to have any problem
getting "fat", "deep" or "sweet" sounds playing adjacent intervals.
But that is more a style debate, and has little to do with the
generation of difference tones and how they work.

Point well taken, but i don't think those old masters played ET harps. But, since you have a more sophisticated knowledge of this stuff than i do, can you tell me A) if the measurable dissonance of the difference tones is LESS for notes played on non adjacent holes on ET harps (as compared to notes played on adjacent holes), and B) if the degree of dissonance has any relationship to how far apart the non adjacent notes are from each other? i suspect that that the larger the interval, the less dissonant the difference tones would be. but i don't really know, so i'm asking.

Some of what you have already told me is consistent with my uneducated (I'm self taught) suspicion: You say that the adjacent intervals on a harmonica are generally a third apart and the presence of a major third creates significantly dissonant difference tones. Okay, does that mean that when the interval is greater than a major third, there will be less dissonance and the wider the interval the less dissonant the difference tones will be? That's what i infer from the excerpt i quoted from Pat Missin's site, and it seems to be consistent with what you have said, if i am understanding you correctly.

let me know, if you can.

Thanks,

JP