[Harp-L] re: Ghost Notes and Equal Temperament

John Potts wrote:

"Actually, as i think about it, i should qualify my reply by saying that the difference tones/ghost notes produced by playing SPLIT INTERVALS on an ET harp sound good.. Jazmaan may well be correct about ghost notes produced by intervals other than split intervals. "

A difference tone is produced whenever two or more intervals are played simultaneously. Any interval other than the octave on a 12- tone equal temperament (12TET) instrument will produce difference tones which have noticeable beats against the notes being played. The layout of the harmonica and what two non-unison notes are played will effect the degree of beating, but not whether beats exist and thus a degree of dissonance.

"I don't know about those. My focus has been solely on ghost notes generated by split intervals . Those do not sound gritty or dissonant. Actually, they sound sweeter than the chords do on an ET harp."

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the omission of the third in the chord itself that you are finding more pleasant, rather than the addition of the difference tone. This is particularly true of major thirds in 12TET which tend to sound harsher than minor thirds (for whatever reason).

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'