[Harp-L] re: Fettling the Chrometta

Aongus Mac Cana writes:

"My proposed plan of action to deal with the problem is to make a small anvil
by drilling a hole in a piece of steel stock large enough to take the nail
heads and then to drive the nails out by a carefully delivered whack on the
pointy end. If this is not disastrous, then my next trick will be to drill
out the first reedplate to take the closest equivalent size of B.A. or
small metric setscrew and to drill the opposite reed plate to the tapping
size for the screw."

That sounds like the best way to tackle it--as Vern said, a less aggressive device than a hammer might be nice, but if you're careful it should work just fine. Another option than tapping the screw into the reed-plate is to use a small nut and bolt set-up, where you drill out both reed-plates for the bolt. The problem with this is that you end up with small nuts which are easily lost.

Please continue to ask chromatic related questions on harp-l, there are many knowledgeable people here who both play and work on chromatics, and while diatonic takes up the majority of the discussion this list is not exclusive to any one type of harmonica, style of playing or point of view--which is its strength.

Hope this helps.

BTW, what does "fettling" mean? I can guess based on the post, just it's a word I've never seen before. Thanks.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'