[Harp-L] RE: Fiddle Tunes on Harmonica - Articles by Tony Eyers

> From: Tony Eyers
> Subject: [Harp-L] Tony Eyers articles: Fiddle Tunes on Harmonica
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> I've put together a set of articles which describe my approach to fiddle
> tunes on harmonica. Topics include harmonica tunings, finding tune
> speeds, strategies for learning and the basic repertoire.
>
> "At any time, in thousands of festivals, homes, bars and other places,
> people will be gathered for traditional music sessions. These are social
> events, but often feature players with extraordinary skill. Closely
> related to a session is a gathering of American "bluegrass" players,
> known as a "pick". Playing fiddle tunes on harmonica at is a way to
> enter this community...."
>
> The remainder of the article is at the link below
>
> http://www.harmonicatunes.com/traditional
>
> Tony Eyers
> Australia
> www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
> ...everyone plays

Tony,

Thanks for several interesting ideas!
I'd like to point out that virtually any tuning can be obtained from the Seydel folks, including your "Major Cross" tuning. There is a small additional feeover the regular price, but (IMHO) it is well worth it to get the tuning youwant with a factory setup of the harp. It certainly takes a lot less of MY time!
I'm curious as to why you prefer "Major Cross" tuning vice Circular Tuning.
Major Cross Tuning (C Harmonica retuned to play in G in 2nd position)Hole--1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10Blow--D-F#-A-C-E-G-C-E-G-BDraw--E-G-B-D-F#-A-B-D-F#-A
Circular Tuning (D labeled harp, played in G)Hole--1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10Blow--D-F#-A-C-E-G-B-D-F#-ADraw--E-G-B-D-F#-A-C-E-G-B
I don't mind the breath reversal from one octave to the next; it's certainly
no more confusing than the breath reversal on hole 7.
I like having a chord on every scale degree and having all the scale degrees.
It's certainly a lot easier to play the melodies of bluegrass on either of thesetunings than on a standard Richter layout.
Regards,Crazy Bob
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_012009