[Harp-L] Kim

Due to all the BS I have endured on this list, apologizing when I was right
and should not have, gotten absolutely disrespectful emails, I feel like
saying  you all can figure it out for yourself what Kim is doing:). But that is not
who  I am today.  I will tell you that Dave Barrett's Tongue Block only's way
of  teaching I believe is dead wrong, and he is a friend. So yes, I have
given you the answer. Kim does both, TB and Pucker and I was right in his  grill
and could not tell which he was doing, his tone is so equal in both  styles.
His manipulation of the 3 hole is the best in the world IMO, and that is  done
with pucker, it is too fast to be TB. That is not the only note he puckers,
it just depends on what and where he feels comfortable.  So my  struggling to
be a TB player only was just plain frustrating, although got me  farther with
it than ever before. I can play stronger and with more tone in  pucker than
with TB, although I doubt anyone can tell which I am playing either.  There is
more articulation if you have the tone to play a certain note pucker  style,
when in certain other times you many want to TB it. So being equal in  your
preparation is key to being able to have people not know if you are TB or  P'ing a
certain note. I would bet every pro player, even Charlie Musselwhite,  will
tell you the same. Except for the freak Mitch Kashmar, who is a 100% TB  player
from the 10 hole down, with absolutely beautiful tone and has  been my friend
for now almost 30 years. He is now getting his due playing  with War, but
wants to continue his own efforts.
    I have a Cruncher customer flying up from Virginia  this Sat. to spend a
day and night learning from me, which I am humbled by, and  she was under the
impression you had to TB everything from the materials she  bought. I am not
saying some cannot pull off all TB, but if Kim does both,  that's damn good
enough for me. I hope you all respect what I am giving up. I  could have not said
anything and kept it to myself, but in spite of what I have  gone through
here, I feel it is my responsibility to pass this information  along, as well as
my experiences and knowledge of Sonny Terry's style. If  Charlie Musselwhite
after hearing my home made CD said I had Sonny's style  nailed along with the
tone like Shaky Horton, that just pushes me to do better,  as I am extremely
hard on myself and don't take that lightly. I work hard on my  craft and not
many actually know the full extent of what I can do on the harp. I  am hoping to
beat this disease and follow my goal of doing seminars and passing  along what
Sonny gave me, along with tone in amplified playing and amplifier
manipulation. I will not have the strength to do this during the possible year  long
treatment I must endure.
         I will use this email  to once again sing the praises of the best CR
and CM repair person I have  experienced in this business, and that is Chuck
Gurney ( _cgurney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:cgurney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)  ). After over
 100 completely astonishing results, and his dead honest approach that if he
can't fix it due to it being too far gone, he will tell you, no one else has
shown this sort of consistency. I have been so disappointed in how high
people have drove the prices of elements on ebay, and yes, testing the waters
occasionally only to be pissed as what should be a good element is not, Chuck
have bailed me out consistently. So now if I feel strongly about an element, I
will just have to pay ridiculous prices if I want it, as I now buy elements
from  Chuck, and will make the statement that I do build some of the best mics
on earth as far as CR and CM's go. Just ask my over 200 mic customers. This
allows me to include all the rest of the top guys busting their butt making
great mics in the field to be equal with what I do, but Chuck knows  I will only
accept Bombs, otherwise why would a customer just buy a total of 7  mics from
me. All with super tone, just a hair different. I send him the mic as  he is
a double amp owner of mine, and if he likes it, he pays for it. So  anyone
that sends me nasty emails just gets blocked from my email as right now I  am
fighting for my life, don't need any BS as the medication is depressing  enough,
suicide is a side effect. I gave you the answer to a question probably  every
harp player has wanted to know, so leave me alone unless you have  something
positive to say. I think I have earned that after 17 years now of  trying to
give harp players worldwide the best harp amps on the planet. And Kim  did
comment that my 410 is the best amp he has played, no matter what he owns,  it is a
one step stronger than the Cruncher, which is extremely strong.
    But the 410 is being limited in production, so I  suggest you get them
now, I have only 8 left in stock. I may not have much time  if this does not
work, so everyone with a Sonny Jr amp will have a  huge investment as I know my
amps will stand the test of time better than  Fender. My doctors are not
positive about a cure as I have the most resistant  strain of this disease. This is
what I live with and I apologize once again for  being crude at times, going
through the 10 knee surgeries while dealing with  this new diagnosis, and being
drugged up was not me. Yes I am brutally honest at  times, but that is how I
was raised, by a Sicilian grandfather who had a 4 inch  belt.
    Thank you for all that are saying prayers and  sending me positive
emails, I feel my life is just beginning and I so want to  give back to all of you
that have supported me over this 17 year period. I do  not think this boom of
harp amp builders would have been possible if I did not  set out on this path,
and I wish them all well. But there are many who will only  buy from me, due
to my amp reputation and customer service, as I have tested the  waters of
time, with all my amps still running perfectly after 17 years; can  anyone else
say that, not yet. Sincerely, Sonny Jr.

**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital.(http://www.aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000027)