Re: [Harp-L] Bull In A China Shop? Big Amps in Low Volume Situations

Kinda sorta makes sense. I play a 4 watt White for just about everything. What I don't like about it is how quickly it runs out of volume. You turn it up it just gets crunchier not louder. It has a very narrow range of usable volume. Turns out that range mostly works for me but I get Ray's objections. I really just want a compressed middle tone. Horn like. I get my variety in tone. timber and volume by what I'm doing with the microphone and the harmonica. I had a 68 Super Reverb. It was ok but it weighed a lot. I still have my 1960 Concert. I haven't used it on a gig in years and years. It only sounds good loud. Might be I've missed something there. My other large amp is a 1961 Blonde Bassman head with a 3X10 bottom. It sounds great but it really only does very loud. I keep thinking maybe I'd be happier with a midsized amp. Maybe 10 watts. I do think I like the single ended Class A sound better than push pull AB. fjm