Fwd: [Harp-L] 5th position

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 15, 2009 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 5th position
To: Alberto Robles <grillslinger@xxxxxxxxx>

Fourth position is playing where the tonic is  3 fifths above the key
of the harp.
Example, a C harp. C is first position.   The fifth note in the C
major scale is G.  G is second position.  The fifth note in G is D, D
is 3rd position.  The fifth note in D is A.  A is 4th position.

On a C harp A is in 3 draw double bend, 6 draw  and 10 draw.  The key
of the song is in these holes, you are playing in 4th position.

4th position is well laid out for natural minor.  The A natural minor
scale is A B C D E F G A, which uses the same notes as the C major
scale. The C harp only uses notes from the C major scale until you
bend or overblow.  None of the overblow notes are in these 2 scales,
so there is no need for overblowing.  Only three bends are in the
scales, 2 draw double, F, 3 draw double, A, and 10 blow single, B.

Another scale I like in 4th is harmonic minor which uses a G# instead
of a G.  3 draw triple bend and 6 draw bend are G#'s.  9 overdraw is
G#, admittedly difficult.  Avoid the G's, 2 draw, 3, 6 and 9 blow and
you have the A harmonic minor scale, slightly mor eastern sounding.

Of course, once you have all your bends and overblows, you can play
any scale in 4th position.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com