Re: [Harp-L] Harp in an R&B/Soul Setting

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Bradford Trainham <
bradford.trainham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<<So does anyone play "soul" type music at gigs?
Sound off!!>>
As often as I possibly can, Brad. With various bands I do soul and old
school R&B tunes such as...

- Sex Machine - James Brown
- Chain Of Fools - Aretha
- Gimme My Broom - Little Milton
- I Feel Good - James Brown
- Breaking Up Somebody's Home - Ann Peebles
- Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
- 634-5789 - Wilson Picket
- She's So Sharp - Dyke and the Blazers (also covered by J.Giels)
 - Blind Crippled and Crazy - O.V. Wright (modulates from Em to G so it's a
great vehicle for using a C harp in 5th and 2nd in the same song)

...and the list goes on. None of these tunes require extreme acrobatics on
the harp, just a matter of working out the parts. It's more about parts than
it is about jamming over the melodies. Use octaves whenever possible.
Playing the parts with a saxophonist is the equivelant of a horn section.
Great stuff!

tom albanese

www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal