Re: [Harp-L] Head'em off at the pass post (hopefully)

On Jan 14, 2009, at 5:42 PM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

In my last "ancestor worship" rant, I mentioned hearing Jason Ricci play
some of Carlos Del Junco's ideas and/or lines early on in his live performances.

I also ended that posting by stating, and I quote -<< "I've been personally
"bugged", however, when I hear someone performing who is doing a note for
note and sound duplication of another living player without once mentioning
where all these great ideas really originated - in a backhanded way I feel that
their silence is claiming another's creativity as their own.>>

I am proclaiming loud and clear that I was NOT obliquely referring to Jason
in this last paragraph. I was referring to those that carbon copy whole songs,
solos and the tone of other living players in their performances without
mentioning them as an influence.

Well, I know that I (for one) understood you perfectly.

To quote or play some ideas from another creative harmonica player is something most of us do.

This is true with EVERYTHING in the entire world. What happens is that we remember things and they are absorbed via, for lack of a better word, osmosis. In a conversation with Johnny Costa and Joe Negri who were the musicians on the Mr Rogers neighborhood, they allowed as how there are so many combinations of notes, timing in music, that it would be virtually impossible to run out of combinations with which to make a tune.

However, there have been so many combinations already USED, that we, as hearing humans, can hardly avoid retaining some of them in our memory banks. Consequently, when we play, it is only logical that some of them will come out. This is exacerbated when we tend to listen to harmonica music all the time. My theory is that the more harmonica music you listen to, the more likely it is that you will (eventually) spit out some riff you heard somewhere, at some time.

In my case, I don't listen to much music, but when I did, it was mostly jazz and since I dabbled in trumpet, clarinet, and have an affinity for 'trad' (you would call dixieland), my notes seem to be more along THOSE lines. You tend to absorb what you hear. Chris Michalek has also been saying this for years.

We don't base our whole performance on it, though. Jason
has an original approach and an original sound. That's for sure. The fact that
he occasionally used Carlos' ideas is a tribute to Carlos, as are all those
Sonny Boy quotes that I hear in Rick Estrin's playing.

BUT, but how do we know that Carlos and Rick were the first to use THESE passages. Maybe they (also) are parroting something THEY heard. I mean, if you listen to a lot of diatonic players, you may pick up an undercurrent or aura from one or more of them. How do we know WHEN these combinations of notes first hit the atmosphere? We really don't. When I listen to Richard Hayman, or Bb McFarlane I hear Leo Diamond.

There are precious few harmonica players with an original sound.

I, myself, have used quotes and ideas from all those that inspired me and have played whole
songs/solos almost note for note from Charlie Musselwhite (Harpin' on a Riff), Corky
Siegel (Hush Hush) and James Montgomery (Son of Jump). However, I did give
them credit on the gig before or after performing these tunes.

Unfortunately, whenever I mention Jason in a post, I immediately draw the
attention of his loyal support group that are still stinging over my ill advised
posting quite a while ago concerning Jason's status as a non-pro when
entering a competition. (I know they are trying to keep this one alive by an
infrequent obtuse posting on this list and some mostly off list zingers coming my
way to date).

Frankly, I haven't seen any.

For the record, because this is ancient history and it is time to move on, I
was wrong in what I posted and did a public apology on the "L", and within a
day or two after the posting spoke w/Jason personally on the phone, during
which time he forgave me for my mistake. It is not because of this incident
that Jason decided not to post publicly on any harmonica forums. My
understanding is that someone else on another harmonica forum was getting quite graphic
in his personal attacks towards Jason.

Larry, I can't speak for anyone else, but I get saddened when anything sour occurs. Because I support the harmonica and harmonica people. We already have an outside world that doesn't always understand our passion, so the least we can do is stick together. Harmonica players should stick together....but NOT spaghetti.

sMo-joe

If I've drawn fire from his loyal followers before they get a chance to read
this one, so be it.

The Remorseman
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol? redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072% 26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De