Re: [Harp-L] ancestor worship

On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Garry Hodgson wrote:
 but time doesn't stand still, music moves on, and the bar keeps
creeping up as each new generation starts with greater
expectations and understanding of what can be done.

I have to agree with you Garry. We see it in ALL walks of life. But I have to add something.

When I came onto harp-l 9 years ago, the first thing I noticed was the hero worship thing. But instead of sitting back as a lurker, I dove right in. Inasmuch as I had heard most of these people when they were still alive. Now here's something I can't understand. I can't understand why everyone is so stubborn.

Harmonica gets no respect and never will. I went (technically) professional in 58, and in 68, 78, 88, 98, and 08 have seen no change. Why is that so hard for everyone to swallow. For example, right now, if one were to stack our best players against the best in other instruments, who would you have heard of?

Hendrik Meurkens or Itszak Perelman
Robert Bonfiglio or Yo Yo Ma
Franz Chmel or whatever

Chances are that most people on the street would pick the latter in these cases. A piano IS a band. A guitar IS a band. These instruments can do a complete band sound. Melody, accompaniment, and even bass lines. EVERY other instrument is a 'luxury', and can be deleted. In every genre except blues, the harmonica is going to be way down the list of band members.

Look at Raphael. Hardly gets a solo. Does mostly backup riffs and chords Uses a tromello a lot. If it wasn't for being part of Nelson's band, who would know him? Most harmonica players have to front their own band to get any exposure.

Just last night, I saw this clown on the comedy channel stomping around with a guitar and a golden melody in a rack squawking away like that girl Flo on the Progressive insurance commercials with the New Years eve noise maker. Ever since the Harmonica Rascals, when harmonica started to get world wide exposure, harmonica has been looked upon as a jokey joke item.

Hohner even went so far as to ship Larry Adler over to the U.S. to do the Johnny Carson show a couple times, and THAT didn't work. Sales didn't increase.

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but admit it, we love a niche instrument that is also loved by the general public but NOT enough to garner any respect from other musicians. They look upon it as a toy that anyone can play in 4 minutes.

Ironically, I was able to get several musicians (mostly piano players...the most hard nosed of the lot) to admit that THEY had tried it and found it (especially the chromatic), to be too difficult......go figure

got my sMo-joe workin