Re: [Harp-L] ancestor worship

To the list:  I really debated sending this, hopefully no feathers
will be ruffled and you can take this for my opinion only.

Garry,
When you say there is no comparison between Gruenling and Walter, you
seem to be suggesting that Gruenling is the superior player.  Is that
what you mean?

IMO, I love Dennis as a person and a player, he is a nice guy who has
technique up the wazoo and can technically control the harp with such
skill that I have to concede that unless I devote my life to that
style of music and find incredible teachers, I am never going to
achieve his technical ability.

However, when I listen to Little Walter, and for that matter Rice
Miller, Big Walter Horton and George Smith, I hear technical ability,
personal style and feeling that I like better than Greunling's.

IMO, the only living guys who achieve anything near the technical
ability, personal style and feeling that I like as much as those
mentioned in the previous paragragh are Cotton, Estrin and Wilson.

I do agree with you that Estrin's concept that the old dead blues guys
are better than anyone living is a concept that will limit our growth
as players, yet in this situation, I agree with his opinion.

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com