Fwd: [Harp-L] "Average" vs pro harp playing (was: Internet)

I thought it was worth clarifying my point here. As a *Intermediate harp
player, it feels at times that there is an elitism among harp players that
send the message if you can't play as well as us you should only play where
you cannot be heard. I realize that all the complaints about people making
money who "can't play" are not all directed at us intermediates but here is
the logic that goes on in my head:

The person they are talking about IS making money playing their harmonica
People seem to like what they are doing (Bob Dylan is pretty popular)
People seem to like what I am doing (No tomatoes have ever flown)
I cannot overblow (or play in 42nt position...)
The critics can overblow
I therefore suck and should not present my work in fear I will be mocked
*
I would suggest that we all be careful who and how we mock/critcize in such
public venues because it may have farther reaching consequences that we
might think. It may dis-promote the use of harmonica.

I am all for critcism/critique. I am designed to be critical. I have my
tastes and preferences. I think some stuff is over the top. But I have also
learned that when I criticize/critique I need to be careful not to use
absolute terms and I need to drown it in humility. I may not have done that
last part well below. If I affended I am sorry.

Derwood

>From: *derwood.blues@xxxxxxxxx*

>I was selling a harp mic I had built on eBay at one point and had included
sound files >of myself playing through the mic to give a sense of what it
sounded like. I received a >"question" from an eBayer that basically let me
know that he and his other harmonica
>friends could not stop laughing as they listened to my files. There was a
great deal of >other insulting yet indirect comments.

>I have never claimed to be a professional harmonica player and do no have
the time >in my life to give harmonica the central place in my life. But, I
do enjoy playing out with >friends at times and seem to please the "average"
customer. It seems to me that the >attitude that is coming from this topic
and the "question" on ebay is that I should just quit >and leave the
harmonica playing to those with true skills.

>I would suggest that music is a public activity that is meant for the
people and there is >room for many levels of player. Maybe it is the self
congratulating that are playing for >themselves and not those that please
the "average" people and not the elite.