To: <jameshoskinz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] the small amp for beginners controversy

Different strokes for different folks. A "Pignose" works for me!

The smallest "Pignose"... That I purchased back in the '90's, has paid for
itself again and again... I've used it to get a cool "electric" distorted
harmonica sound on hundreds of recording sessions. IT DOESN'T "hum" AT ALL!!!!
Unlike many tube amps, it's quiet. SO recording engineers LOVE IT.

I use it with a Shure SM58, with a 1970's Shure Unisphere or with an Astatic
(modified) Crystal Balls... JT30..

A different sound every time.

Tube amps sometimes give a better "sag" to the tone. But they "hum," and for
recording studios, they are often too loud! Most tube amps are MUCH more
difficult to record with, at low volume.

One of the beauties of playing harmonica is that there are simply so many
options...

Mostly, on gigs I use a Fender tube amp, either DI to the house PA or mic'd
to the PA using an SM 57 aimed at the loud speaker.
If it is a small gig in a bar, It does not go through the PA. 40 watts of
"tube power" is quite loud enough mostly.

TUBE AMPS are (probably) best for live performance, Chicago style blues
harp. However, solid state amps are often better for recording, because they are
so "quiet"!

NO HUM!

I know... "The tone comes from the harp player not the amp"...

Best wishes

John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England