From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Garry Hodgson
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:36 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] roadhouse blues and other rock standards

steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Also, I was asked a couple years ago to play 3-4 songs on harp with a
> local group. I came to discover they wanted harp because they wanted
> to do Roadhouse. It took me way too long to get it down, and I haven't
> done it since, but I loved the harp feel in that song, too
that's raises an interesting point.  just as there are standard blues tunes
that everyone is expected to know, what are the standard rock tunes that you
are likely to be called up for?

i went to see a friend's cover band play one time, and they called me up for
a few, unexpectedly.  "roadhouse blues" was one song, i think zz top's
"tush" the other.  had never heard of "tush", and hadn't heard roadhouse in
perhaps 20 years.  i played ok, making it up on the fly, but probably
nothing like what was expected.

so, what are the rock "standards"?