[Harp-L] Re:Question re small amp.

On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Cassette recording technology is good enough for this purpose, and it's a lot cheaper. Radio Shack sells a recorder with a built-in mic that uses standard audio cassettes for a price of less than $40, as I recall. Cassettes are cheap and still readily available, too.

Thanks for bringing this up, Richard. Excellent point. BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY, record yourself.

Back in the 90's, when the Harmonica Masterclasses had all the greats showing up for seminars, Rod Piazza said that someone (George Smith? can't recall - I'll have to go back and listen), gave him a cheap recorder just for the purpose of recording his practice sessions. He said it was the best gift he'd ever gotten, and he encouraged us to do the same.

I recorded him saying this, as I already had one of those old-school tape recorders that lay flat underneath my chair and have the built-in condenser mics, big black flat keys that go "ker-PLUNK" to let you know to turn the tape over (and annoy the heck out of everyone), all chrome and shiny speaker grille... you 'member.

All the music on my website at www.resgraphics.com/music is recorded using a Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD minidisc recorder and some Sound Professionals Audio Technica mics with a power pack for the mics. This whole setup is still smaller than the H4, but what's nice about the H4 is it's an all-in-one unit. I do some post-processing using Bias Peak, and it takes a bit of time, but it's sort of a hobby of mine.

You don't need this sort of setup. You don't need to go crazy like this. Keep it simple if you don't want the hassle, as long as you record yourself. Even a simple recording is better than none.

I record every performance to check myself, the band, my amp, my tone, what I was saying musically, what I could have been doing, the times I should have shut up... I go over and over the music listening for all sorts of stuff. What you'll hear is amazing, and you'll learn so much.

I am also looking to capture that magic moment. You know, that moment when everyone is in the pocket, the music is moving up and out with a life of it's own, and it's just a coming together of all the right time and things and notes and crowd... Rather than tell the grandkids about that special moment when it all just came together, wouldn't you rather them hear it? That stuff's PRICELESS!

Then, of course, those warts. Ah, yes... the warts. Those times when you just fall flat on your face, and you don't quite know what you were trying to do or why. When you hear it, you'll winch... "What the HECK wuz I THINKIN'?" And you'll never want to hear it again. It's all good, though! I guarantee you, when you hear it, you WON'T do that thing again. EVAH! You will have a better performance the VERY NEXT TIME.

Okay, I think you all get the picture; I'll shut up now. Forty bucks or four hundred bucks. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.

Ray.
--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music