[Harp-L] Musical competence (formerly Internet)

Thanks to Robert Bonfiglio, Larry Marks and the other correspondents in this thread for upholding their musical standards. I don't want to sound elitist, but I totally agree. One of the reasons why many "real" musicians have such a low level of expectation towards harmonica players is that they've had numerous bad experiences where our instrument is played by someone who is:

unaware of chord changes
doesn't know how to play to them
doesn't know the tune anyway
isn't listening to the other instruments or the singer and steps all over their lines
is unfamiliar with musical etiquette and plays inappropriately and way too much
is horribly out of tune due to poor intonation
encloses the vocal mike and so is way too loud
is plagued by feedback
and so on and so on.

These things happen so often that they have given the harp an awful public image and have led to the widespread expectation that the harmonica is actually meant to sound squawky, out of tune and generally unmusical. Chromatic players are often better able to avoid these pitfalls, but they aren't stepping up at the local blues jam quite so frequently.

The fact is, popular perception of the harmonica leads most casual listeners to expect an extremely low level of musicality. This is definitely at least in part conditioned by their experiences of the instrument. My personal point of view here is that the only way to change this is to prove the contrary by treating the harp as a musical instrument just like any other and to live by the same set of rules which govern all music and which all other musicians live by. Unfortunately this means that fast widdly diddly diatonic runs can no longer be passed off as "jazz improvisation", bad timing is a serious mistake and poor intonation will be called "out of tune".

On every instrument in the world there are many, many more amateur players at varying levels of competence than there are top professionals and I wouldn't want my comments in any way to be understood as a put-down of anyone playing on such a level. Music is much too important to be left to professionals and I'm a wholehearted supporter of amateur music performed at any level of competence. It can bring much joy to you and those around you and is a fundamentally life enriching activity. At home, at other people's homes and also at festivals I frequently enjoy casual jamming with amateur players and take great pleasure in this. The difference is, popular perception of other instruments is not defined by how players of that caliber play these instruments, but by how their finest exponents play them.

It's up to us to ensure our instrument is perceived in a more positive light. For amateur players, a good way to go may be to learn enough music theory to know which notes on the harp fit to the main chords used in popular music, and to work on improving your timing, intonation and tone. For professional players, it's up to us to ensure that our instrument becomes more highly regarded by behaving like pros and delivering on the level that our fellow musicians are expected to attain on their instruments as a matter of course. If it wouldn't be OK for a sax player, why should it be OK for me just because I'm "only" playing a harmonica?

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com