Fwd: [Harp-L] Suggestions for playing the occasional "rock" tune?

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Meehan
<mikemeehan2002@...> wrote:

Hi all. My band plays pretty much all blues (new and old), but they
occasionally like to work on something that falls more into
the "rock" category, like the Stones "Honky Tonk Woman" or something
like that. Now, I can pretty much hold my own and add value to
anything in the usual blues format, but when it breaks out of the
mold too much, I am not really good enough to just wing it, know what
I mean? So, I guess what I am asking is, does anyone have any
suggestions/direction on how to add value to a song like "Honky Tonk
Woman"? Not looking for ultra-specifics (allthough, that would be
cool!), just a general discussion of how one goes about it.
  Thanks for any input! Mike

Mike:  Interesting subject -- I do this pretty intuitively, so it is
good to force me to think about what I might be doing!  One approach
would be to play between the vocal lines, thinking what might a back-
up singer do here?  Of course, you need to be sensitive to what, for
example, the lead guitar might be adding in that vein.  Or switch off
with the lead guitarist on echoing the end of vocal lines.  There are
about 6 sylables on "Honk" in each chorus, so I think a couple of
well placed harp beats might work (maybe in this case you are doing
what a horn might do) -- listen to the drummer and maybe add some
emphasis to the drum beats.   Be sensitive to the dynamics --for
example, are you trying to bring up the energy level at the end of a
verse to kick into the chorus (each time? only at the end?).  A
single "bop" after each "gimme" might sound cool.  If the lead
guitarist is playing a lick and you know where it will resolve, you
might resolve it together (or maybe you hold it a bit longer and
warble or bend).  Anyway, those are just a few thoughts from trying
to imagine what I might try in that situation -- I hope it helps a
bit or leads to further discussion that helps.
--jk