To: "Robert Bonfiglio" <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The Internet

Dear Robert and List,

I have the highest regard for your abilities, your years of study, your talent, and you taste in music. In fact, I very much agree that quality of art comes from such study, and dedication. I have spent too many hours practicing not to agree. My hours pale in comparison to yourself and others like you, whom I regard with the highest esteem.

Unfortunately, the world defaults to "the average". As a tall person, I struggle with "the average" every time I board an airplane or buy a car. I cringe at what I consider "harmonica abuse" every time I hear some singer pull out a harp and play some awful, shrill b.s. on a top 40 record. I think, "wow. is it worth it? why bother working my ass off so some jackoff with thirty dollars can re-convince the
whole world that the harmonica is nothing but a novelty toy?" It's daunting and depressing, and just plain wrong.

I was really frustrated, making similar observations to the ones in your post. Hell, I still am. What I started to realize was that nobody cared, and that I looked like a jerk every time I called someone out for their "crap". Why? Because the average is the majority. They think Neil Young just wails on the harp. They freaking LOVE the harp in Roadhouse Blues. They eat up reality TV like it's gourmet food at discount prices.

I struggled with this conflict for quite some time (still do). Several things currently help me deal with the state of things.

1. A conversation I had with Rick Estrin about how frustrating it is that solid harp playing is under-appreciated. Rick said to me, "Man, sometimes what's cool isn't for everybody. McDonald's is for
Everybody"

2. A conversation with a colleague who was 100% positive that NO music was of any value but classical. The Beatles? "Who's that?" he would say. In order to have a voice in that argument, I came up with the following philosophy: I envision music and all the possibilities of music as a number line. At one end is a cave-man simply beating a rock on another rock. On the other end is a scientist analyzing the frequency of every note played, using an oscilloscope. The point is that there's a place on that number line for everyone. My wife says, "As long as it has good lyrics. . . ". It's ok because art is entirely subjective.

3. I went to the Guggenheim in NYC and saw five identically sized canvasses each with a different solid color. I was enraged. I was like, "what sort of skill did this require?" What sort of study". Thinking about that moment, I refined my
definition of the word "Art". Art, by my definition is communication through any medium that illicits emotion. That painting made me angry in its bullshit. Thus, it qualifies as art. See, you can't disqualify any art without blowing the whole concept. Art is art is art, no matter how simple.

4. A conversation I had with Dan Ridgeway. Dan is a super talented sort of guy who's very laid back. Myself. . . I'm more direct, more uptight. I was analyzing and picking apart some harp player who was pretending to cover tunes note for note, but who was missing all the nuance and half the notes. Upon listening to my very accurate nit-picking, Dan looked me in the eye and said, "Why do you have to be so negative?" Why do you have to hate on everybody?" That stopped me in my tracks.

5. Any dealings I've had with Jason Ricci. Jason believes in supporting just about everyone.
He gives and gives and gives. He can legitimately pick up just about any diatonic harp player, and give them a spanking without even trying. Yet, Jason doesn't. He loves on EVERY harp player he meets. He gives of himself, and really limits his negativity (or tries to).

My point in all this, is that Mr. Bonfiglio, you do matter, and you matter a ton. The average is the average, and that's as good as they're going to get. The people that really get the detail and the study and the nuance of GOOD art (or good anything for that matter) are all that matter. Yeah it sucks that all the money goes to the middle of the curve, but that's just the world we live in. If you want money, sell out. If you want your art, well, you stick to those guns and you keep amazing us.

There's room in this world for all of us. Just have a conversation with someone equally driven, but in a field you
don't care about. You'll see that to some people music is worthless. Sports, or science, or history, or writing or whatever they love matters as much to them as music does to you/us.