Re: [Harp-L] "Average" vs pro harp playing (was: Internet)

As one excellent player I know put it, we are our own worst enemies.

To me, the harmonica is a musical instrument, like the other musical instruments I play. Currently, it is my main instrument. I practice it for hours every day, running scales and arpeggios and riffs, and playing the tunes I perform.

Unfortunately, the harmonica started its life as a toy. To some, perhaps most it remains a toy. I can't begin to describe the grating feeling I get when people tootling on a harmonica fail to make changes and play garbage over competent musicians.

If that makes me sound like an asshole, then so be it.

Unfortunately, though, that's life.

We have one of the best daily music shows in the country here in N. California/S. Oregon. I can guarantee you that you will hear only good guitarists and bassists and pianists and horn players. To their credit, they occasionally play Carlos del Junco, Toots and Norton. But most of the harmonica playing, even on that exalted show is execrable. Nobody gives a shit.

-LM

Blueharp1@xxxxxxx wrote:
Well, it drives me up the wall too. And of course you could add Springsteen (and the room goes WIIIIILD!!!), and a whole raft of others.
I'd take slight exception to the implied dis on the Roadhouse Blues harp. Granted, the short riff played by John Sebastian Jr. on that cut is a simple one. But Sebastian was and is an accomplished player nonetheless, and his tone and articulation are spot on. Simple, but nowhere near as grating as, say, Tom Petty. Or Alanis Morissette. But I do get your point.
And of course, it's ALL relative.
Jeff G
Denver