[Harp-L] The Internet

I found another CD of mine on I-tunes stolen with a new cover. I see a lot of my music pirated and sold with no gain on my part. I see CD's on Amazon that I have no part in; in essence the Internet has become this global license to steal anything that can be copied digitally.

I also see a lot of really amateur harmonica playing on youtube that would never have seen the light of day without the Internet and comments that people actually love the stuff proving that what people really want to see on TV is themselves and what they want to see on YouTube and the Internet is themselves.

The amazing thing is there are no A&R guys to say this or that is not worthy of recording. Even the music on TV has become a reality show format with American idol. The basis is that if you have natural talent you can be a singer, even though you didn't go through training or paying your dues in some way, you are better than the rest. There is an element of "in your face" for all the people who did the work - they must be some kind of stupid.

This leaves sports as thing left with exposure that has any sense of real talent with hard work wins out. Who knows, maybe in 10 years reality football and baseball games where neighbors play each other in a game show will push those sport events into oblivion.

I think it is time to say that performance was nice, come back after a few years of practice and work and we will see how you have matured. we have to start telling people that mediocre is not good enough to be successful or we all will putting up with average performances for the rest of our lives.

I heard a winner of American Idol sing with the New York Pops just after a REAL singer did two numbers from West Side Story. The American Idol singer got blown off the stage; it was embarassing. But who cares? We all should. We all should hold music and all art to a higher standard than "anybody can do it."

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com