[Harp-L] Ghost notes

John refers to the additional notes created when playing intervals as "ghost notes". I prefer the term "difference notes", which I believe is more generally musically accepted. These notes occur naturally (at a greater or lesser amplitude) when playing intervals and are actually the note generated by subtracting the lower from the higher of the two frequencies involved - higher frequency minus lower frequency = difference note frequency. A neat way to use this is to play fifths, e.g. 2 & 4 draw while blocking 3. The difference note is then one octave lower than the lower of the two notes actually being played, so that you hear a note which is lower than any note available on the instrument. It can be hard to hear this acoustically, but playing through a hand-held mic will allow it to be amplified and it can sound very effective and unusual. There are quite a lot of examples of deliberate use of this technique on my CDs with Chris Jones, especially on the "Slow Roll" and "Smoke and Noise" albums, as well as on my CDs with Abi Wallenstein and with Dick Bird (I often use it to fatten up the final chord of an ending, for example).

I use the term "ghost notes" to refer to the percussive exhalations I play in between draw notes by breathing out while moving the harp slightly off my lips to create a breath noise which doesn't cause the reeds to sound. This is very useful for accentuating the rhythmic components of your phrasing and is an integral part of my style. This is described in detail in vols. 2 & 3 of my Blues Harmonica Playalongs series,

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de