[Harp-L] fun while learning

In a message dated 1/10/2009 1:49:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hvyj@xxxxxxx writes:

i don't want anyone to  think i am against having fun while one
learns.   I'm not  the Iceman.

wha? oh, ha ha, it's a joke. (I guess). Good one, JP.  (koff)

These days, all of my students are enjoying themselves  immensely during
lessons and on their road to evolving into musicians. All  are sticking with the
weekly program (one is every other week). I'm actually  surprised at the
longevity of our relationships.

I admit I used to be more militant and did lose a student or  two four years
ago when I was caught up in myself and forgot to pay close  attention to the
student during private lessons, but that was then and this is  now.

The students are told that they are paying me $$$/hr for  me to show them the
quickest paths to what they wish to learn, arrived at by 15  years of
trial/error and experiments (admittedly like a Mad Scientist at  times) on
individuals and groups, constantly revamping and reinventing my  methods.

All are making very extreme progress in a short period of  time, so I'll just
stick with my game plan.

One of the best successes, proven over time by feedback from  happy students
(going back to Augusta Heritage group classes) is the 5 min/day  approach. I
never insisted that they follow this philosophy, but merely  suggested that
they try it for 7 days just to see what happens. I'd say about  15% actually gave
it a go, judging by the happy emails received from group class  students at
Blues Week. Private students that try it tell me that it changes  them for the
better - they learn something about themselves in the  process.

Of course, there are always folk that decide that 5  min/day sounds like
hoooey without even giving it a sincere 7 day test run.  I'll never understand
people like this. Did you know that when Kenny Werner  first came out with his
"Effortless Mastery" philosophy, it took quite a few  years and many poorly
attended workshops before his ideas resonated with enough  people that actually
gave it a go to overcome the nay-sayers?

Myself, I think trying wild ideas is great fun and I've  certainly gained by
these experiences, whether they ultimately became part of my  learning
discipline or were discarded after a fair trial run as just not for  me.

This list is a funny one. When someone posts an approach,  opinion or
suggestion, so many react as if they were speaking for everyone,  which leads to some
fiery exchanges beyond saying politely "I respectfully  disagree".

Would you believe that some disagreements are actually  thinly veiled
personal agendas that have bad energy? GASP. I know, from personally being caught up
in propagating bad  energy myself. ick.

The Iceman

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)