[Harp-L] Re: So new I'm an infant

Abner wrote:

Subject: [Harp-L] so new im an infant

I'm not sure if I'm even doing this email thing right..

I'm 48 and recovering form cervical spine surgery.

I will be home for another two months and I'm bored.

Abner, just a suggestion with regard to cervical spine surgery and
harmonica. I had surgery

on my cervical spine in Feb '08. Spinal stenosis requiring removal of the
5th cervical vertebrae

and both discs, one above, one below that vertebrae. In its place is a cage
strut graft and

pinned in place with a titanium plate. I don't know if your surgery was
similar, but if so be

VERY gentle even as a newbie on the harmonica. I've been playing since the
early 1990's, (student

of our esteemed Iceman up at Davis & Elkins College, along with Phil
Wiggins, Annie Raines, and

the late Gary Primich), and can tell you that harmonica stresses the neck
muscles, vocal cords,

more than you'd anticipate. My surgery required 4.5 hours, the breathing
tube irritated my

vocal cords resulting in a granuloma like polyp to form about 4 months after
the surgery. It's still

healing and as a result I still don't sing at gigs. Now as a newbie you
won't be using all the

techniques such as throat vibrato, head shakes, etc. but simply heed the
caution. I was in a full

hard neck collar for 4 months. It's heck getting old, I've got about 6 years
on you. Best of luck

in a full recovery, take your time on the healing. No need to rush it.

Bill Otten