Re: [Harp-L] Re: amps for beginners?

Wrong? That's a pretty strong word. I don't think there is a wrong way to play amped, it's not exactly rocket science, and you discover that a tight cup on the mic gives you the driven sound, and then take that away and you get the lighter sounds... I grabbed a big amp (Fender Bassman 410 reissue) and mic pretty early. Didn't know what I was looking for at the time. Had a ton of fun with that rig though. Now I've taken a step back, a reboot as it were, to refine techniques etc, I haven't played that same rig in at least 5 years. Do I still have an amp? Yeah, a better one (imho). I picked up one of Purdy's Harpgear I amps. An amp that size will color your tone, let you hear the different settings on a delay pedal, make you work to produce a lick amped correctly... Either way, garbage in, garbage out. You have to know the harp before you become an amplified virtuoso.

Or you could put a smile on your face and just play. One thing Harp-L is notorious for, since day one almost, is the need to pick apart the big picture, until you have pieces of info, so minute in detail, you forget what you were looking at.

Keep blowin' the chrome,

Kim