Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Hohner CX-12 Jazz Chromatic

Hi Wadi:

this is where some of the confusion arose, when you wrote:

"Here is the cx 12 jazz black cover. It's 85 euros.
>  http://www.harponline.de/ And I also think it's a nice job for the cx
>  12 jazz but I have seen some people that
> Puts a chromonica or a Suzuki  mouthpiece to the cx 12. I have tested and
> harmonica like this  and
> It rock's!"

...the link you sent from Harponline does indeed show the Jazz housing as
you've said, and it is going for 85 euros. However, the new 'jazz'  cx-12 (the
entire instrument) only comes in one colour and I believe that's a  gold..or a
darker gold/bronze-y colour? (I haven't seen it but am going by the  photos in
the catalogue)...so I believed the replacement housing came in that  same
single colour too, and not in black, but I really don't know for  sure....

Can someone/anyone verify this?

As far as attaching a separate mouthpiece to 'other' chromatics and having
it work..I have heard of this before...and I can understand how substituting a
mouthpiece from one chromatic to another or even doubling up mouthpieces
might fit a player better....with some other chromatics...but  I somehow can't
see it for the CX-12, due to the shape of the harmonica's  housing.  It still
doesn't compute for me.

The entire idea of the CX-12 was to have a one-piece body...and to have an
easy to clean chromatic which dismantled without tools...the mouthpiece (slide)
 is interior to this chromatic...and adding (gluing on) another one on top
seems  superfluous in the extreme, and takes away from several of the things
which make  this such an attractive instrument. It's not a cheap chrom..if one
wanted to add  a mouthpiece to an instrument...why this one?

Or do you mean they're just taking one single part of the mouthpiece and
gluing it on to alter the shape, not adding an entire mouthpiece 'assembly'
(meaning all the parts including the button?)...because I can't imagine which
button the player would use, then? ...the one with the new mouthpiece or  the
CX-12's own big fat button?  It would seem you'd have need  of both just because
of the design of the chromatic.

 I can't figure it...and don't quite see what one could possibly gain  from
doing this and think there'd be a lot to lose...although for a  chrometta
(which I find very airy), I could well understand how adding a  mouthpiece could be
a bid to cut down on that airiness, just not for a  CX-12, since it's such an
entirely differently designed instrument.

I'd have to actually see this 'customized' CX-12 instrument...or someone
playing it to accept that it worked well at all.  Do you think it's at all
possible to have one of those who've done it post a clear, close up photo  here?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

"
Hi  Elizabeth!
First  of all I the mouthpiece was stick to the cx 12 cover with glue or
somewhat.Iâm  not a luthier of harmonicas but the guy that did it was and it was
expectacular,no air loosing and the response was great. On the other hand he
did  the same with a Chrometa 12â.I donât know how to describe it but it
rocks, itâs  a very fast harp (my teacher agrees with me and he has a lot of years
of  experience with harmonica). The cx 12 black cover I talk about is the
cover of  the cx JAZZ not the regular cx 12 and it fits into the regular cx 12
harp.
Sorry  that I couldnât be more helpful with the mouthpiece thing.
Wadi

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)