Re: [Harp-L] learning to play

Good points. Like so much in the blues, an early protocol was established  in
teaching blues harmonica and it hasn't evolved much over the years. However,
a few forward thinking teachers are breaking the mold. I believe that Chris
Michalek teaches out of the box, as do I - but we are not primarily blues
players, just musicians that can also play the blues. I'm gravitating toward
teaching where the notes live, whether with bending technique or not, eventually
putting them into modal or positional contexts for the students. It's amazing
to  watch a beginner learn to create 3 hole inhale first and second bends as
notes  early on, without telling them how "hard" or "advanced" it is.

In a message dated 1/9/2009 9:58:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  hvyj@xxxxxxx