[Harp-L] Re: Rick Epping- Blackird at IronLung 2004 -> What Harmonica is that?

> Hi Jim,

The XB-40, like any harmonica, has its own voice, which can take some time
finding.  That said, a beginner should get on fine with it.   I would
recommend a key of G to start with.  The other keys I use most are A and low
D.

The other type of harmonica I use besides XB-40s and 10-hole, 20-reed
diatonics in various tunings are 10-hole, 40-reed octave diatonics I build
onto chromatic bodies.  They're like the Hohner Auto-Valve only louder, and
sound very much like single-row melodions, especially when played in
octaves, which produces the same voicing as a melodion: one low, two middle
and one high reed per note.

Best,
Rick