Re: [Harp-L] two questions from newbie

You've gotten some excellent suggestions from this list already.

I've found that 5 min/day of focused practice is a good way to start -
however, with this 5 min/day, I add two requirements:

1 - It has to be EVERY day - you can't skip a day and tell yourself you'll
do 10 min tomorrow to make up for it.

2. It has to be the SAME TIME every day - in other words, you have to  choose
a time that becomes "sacred" to you and honor it. It also has to be in a
quiet environment where no disruptions occur. Playing in a car does not count,
as you are distracted by having to think about driving.

After your committed 5 min, you are done with your homework and can go
outside and play with your friends. However, if you feel like going longer than
this 5 min, it is like extra credit. However, don't force yourself to go longer
if you don't feel like it.

Within this 5 min, you should choose to work on one or maybe two aspects.
Don't try to cram a bunch of stuff into the 5 min.

What happens is that you slowly start to commit yourself to a very  serious
or sacred personal time to devote to this endeavor through  discipline.
"Sacred" practice time is more focused and productive, achieving  better results
faster as well as helping you to evolve into someone serious  about their craft.

Try it for one week and see what happens.

Long tones are a great way to get inside the sound, hearing it  clearly and
figuring out what you are actually doing inside yourself. Long  tones hang a
note in the air for 10 seconds or more.

The other point I might suggest is to breathe the harmonica rather than
blow/suck. The energy level used is much closer to humming than whistling. If  you
start to feel tired muscles in your face or lips, you are wasting your
energy in inefficient technique.

The Iceman

In a message dated 1/8/2009 5:02:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,