Re: [Harp-L] BBE Two Timer Delay pedal

"David Brown" wrote:
<I use only a short delay on most songs, but do one song that uses a long
<delay briefly in the middle and then switchs back to short delay. I use a
<effects board on the floor and bending over to flick a little toggle on my
<Danecho is a pain in the middle of a solo. This BBE BBE Two Timer Delay
<pedal looks like a possibility as it lets you switch using your foot.<
<
<Has anybody tried one ?

I haven't tried this pedal.  BBE in general makes good stuff, but every delay has its own sound, and you really need to try the thing to know whether the sound appeals to you.  I do think $150 is a lot for a delay, even one with two switchable settings--there are only so many uses for such a device.

As an alternative, check the user reviews at http://harmonycentral.com.  Or buy online from Musiciansfriend--they offer a 45-day no excuses necessary return policy.  You'll pay return postage, but that's not much compared to being stuck with an effects unit you don't like.

As another alternative, consider a multieffects device with a footpedal that can be assigned to change the delay time.  The Digitech RP series devices will do this and are in the same price range as the BBE--my guess is that some of the other amp modelers out there will do it too.  The advantage here is that you get more than a delay for your money, and also that you keep everything in a single device.

Finally, consider getting a channel switching pedal and a second delay unit.  An A/B/Y pedal will run you about $35, and a decent second delay unit will probably run you less than $100, both new.  Then you run your mic into the A/B/Y pedal, and the outputs of the A/B/Y pedal to your different delay units, then to the amp.  When you want the longer delay, switch channels on the A/B/Y pedal.  This is slightly lower cost, and also gives you a lot of flexibility you don't have with the BBE dual delay, because you can create very different effects chains on each of the output channels.  The tradeoff is that you now have at least two more effects pedals on stage, instead of one.

Regards, Richard Hunter