From: "steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <swebb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:53:08 PM GMT -07:00 Chihuahua / La Paz / Mazatlan
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Country Western harmonica players

Jelly Roll Johnson, of course, is the first name that comes to mind. Sadly, there isn't a lot of harmonica these days on current country recordiings. Mickey Raphael records mostly with Willie, Buddy Greene seems to stay on the gospel circuit. I'm not sure what Mike Stevens is doing these days.
Harmonica will fit nicely with country music, but perhaps not as a dominant instrument as it can e in blues.
I play harp in a trio and we play what I would call country-based music, but it involves a wide range of styles. I play very few solos, but I do lots of fills and some rhythm and short phrases. We have been working hard the past year and a half and it is coming together. We hope to record a cd yet this winter and if we succeed, I will post some samples on my MySpace page.
I love playing harp this way. My favorite song right now is our version of Help Me Make It through The Night, where I play a long solo on a low F harp.
Steve Webb in Minnesota, where winter prevails and I have a 3-night gig this weekend.