From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of James F. Antaki, PhD
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 9:32 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] MIDI Harmonica - revisited

New (old) topic. Some (many?) of you may recall that I had been developing
an electric harmonica, named "TurboHarp/ELX"
(http://www.turboharp.com/ELX/ELXIndex.asp) for, what seems like... forever.
To me too.

This past year, we managed to produce five complete setups, comprised of the
harp itself and a modified (DigiTech)effects box. We've circulated these
harps for a bit of flight testing, and have received mixed reviews. To make
a long story short, this initial remarks we've received has prompted us to
reconsider "midifying" the harp.

Briefly, the ELX consists of a set of 20 optical pickups, incorporated into
a pair of snap-together cover plates, into which you insert a garden variety
diatonic harp. (e.g. Special 20.) The pickups sense the reed motion, much
like the pickups on an electric guitar, and convert it to an analog signal.

Although there are 20 pickups, they are currently pre-mixed within the harp,
resulting in a single output. And this is the source of our main problem.
Unless the pickups are perfectly balanced, the dynamics of the harp is
unnatural, and consequently frustrating.  The other main problem is that the
electrical signal generated by the reeds themselves is rather bland. As you
might imagine, it does not contain overtones normally caused by reflections
and aerodynamic instabilities, etc...  Therefore the only way to really
appreciate its capabilities it by patching it through an effects unit.
Personally, I like the way it sounds when patched through various chorus,
delay, rotating effects; but I've been told that it would be a whole lot
more useful and revolutionary if it enabled MIDI control.

>From what I gather, there are two possibilities for converting the
>signal to
MIDI. One is to literally separate the 20 pickups into 20 separate signals
and then add instrumentation to measure blowing pressure. But this is beyond
what I can practically accomplish...at the pace I've been proceeding. The
other way is to convert the analog signal to digital by sophisticated signal
processing software. This is feasible, but can only be done practically by
using a PC.

In case you're wondering why not just eliminate the reeds altogether - as
was done many years ago for the Millionizer - there's actually a good
reason. In short, it would dramatically alter the touch-and-feel of the
harp, eliminating the ability to bend notes, or in general vocalize through
the instrument.

My question for the audience is whether you think pursuing a MIDI version is
really worthwhile. Would people actually use a harmonica interface to, say,
simulate cathedral bells or the pan flute or whatever it is that MIDI
musicians contrive with their programming? And if so, would the PC approach
be satisfactory, or would a full-fledged MIDI harp (analagous to the MIDI
guitar) be needed?

I apologize for rambling, and thank you in advance for your ideas. I also
apologize in advance if I dont return your messages promptly (or at all) as
my day job has me completely tied up. If not for the miracle of the holiday
break, even this message would never have been possible.