[Harp-L] Positions

Gary,

These are the commonly used positions for playing in A:

Fourth Position: A on the C diatonic puts you in the Aeolean mode of A which is the natural minor. I don't think A major can be easily played on a C harp, but I don't do overblows.
Fifth Position: A minor on an F harp.
Third position: A on a G harp. Commonly used for A minor as well.
Second position: A major an a D harp.
First position: A major on an A harp.
12th Position: A major on an E harp.

The most commonly used blues position is 2d. I think 5th is terrific for minors. Bob Dylan did "All Along the Watch Tower" in 4th. Sugar Blue often uses 3d for major key blues. Jimmy Reed often plays blues in 1st using high end blow bends.

JP