RE: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Harp Dream (this is as real as it gets)

I was unaware that Abner had little experience on the harmonica. Nothing
in his post alludes to that. I'm not denying it; I'm just saying that my
post was made under the assumption that he at least knew his way around
the instrument. Given that he "found" a harmonica while in pitch-black
dark and unconscious, I figured that he must play fairly often or the
harp wouldn't had been that readily available.

Given what you say is fact, and responding to your question of how I
would explain his new-found ability in light of this, I would have to
say that we have a prodigy in our midst. Whether one is asleep, awake,
under the influence of...well...anything, suddenly displaying fluency on
a hitherto alien instrument is a sign that there is something amazing
happening!

Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones stated in an interview once that
the hook for Satisfaction came to him in his sleep. He always slept with
a recorder beside the bed in case he had an idea for lyrics, etc. He
said that he doesn't remember doing it, but sometime in the night he
switched the machine on and recorded those ten notes that now live in
infamy. He woke up the next morning and there they were. Granted,
Richards was a seasoned guitarist and songwriter by that time, but I
think the point supports the theme of my post: the mind works day and
night to "make true" what you commit to. This is why it is so important
not to keep saying to one's self "I'll never get that lick!" or "I'll
never be able to play this thing!" You might wake up one morning and
find that your mind has made it so.

Getting back to the nature of my original response and the harp
relevancy of this thread, I still maintain my views and opinions on the
subconscious mind's ability to process information and solve minor
musical conundrums. I found Abner's story both amusing and deeply
motivating. I believe that we all "have it in us". Some people are just
better at finding their avenue for release than others. Even those who
say they "have no rhythm" have a heartbeat. They have rhythm, they just
haven't found out how to tap into it yet. Abner proved without question
that his mind possessed enough knowledge of the instrument and ability
to link notes into a logical progression to allow his body (mouth and
lungs) to produce the end result effortlessly.

For all the new harp players reading this thread, I hope that they come
away from it with the idea that you need not practice to the point of
frustration. Nor should you doubt yourself at any point in your journey
down the Harp Road. It will happen. As sure as the sun rises in the
morning, your light will one day shine. For some, sooner, for some,
later. Your "moment" has already been chosen. It is up to you to
discover it.

Cheers! Here's to Abner "Blues in the Dark" Galdos!

John Balding

Tallahassee, FL