Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] volume & conversation (was amps)

These remarks about volume and about folks wanting to be able to
have conversation while you are playing made me realize again how
lucky I am to play at the weekly Jackson Hole Hootenanny (just last
night)where audience members do not carry on conversations while the
music is being performed -- not because we are too loud, but because
they are there to listen.  At the beginning of each evening we
mention that one of our "traditions" is that folks don't carry on
conversations because this is acoustic "listening music" (and we
don't have to enforce it -- it is clear to people who walk in what
the norm is -- and it's even at a bar).  We play through a single
condenser microphone.  It is a real pleasure to know that folks are
listening to lyrics and are well aware of dynamic changes --
althought it can be opretty intimidating if you are used to playing
in front of people who aren't even paying attention (a "payed
practice").  Start one up in your town!

http://www.hootinthehole.com/
--jk

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IcemanLE@... wrote:

Hallelujah - you've just discovered the "SECRET" to great tone.

Shhh - don't tell anyone else. We wouldn't want all the bands to
play with
great dynamics, good tone and leave the audience satisfied w/out
ringing ears
now, would we?

In a message dated 2/23/2009 7:21:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,