RE: [Harp-L] DeVille 410

Bill,

I use the Blues DeVille 4X10, which is basically the Hot Rod DeVille
without the extra distortion or gain boost. I believe the Hot Rod has
two such boosts, whereas the Blues has only one. That is, both amps have
the same "normal" and "boost" channels, but the Hot Rod has an extra
boost option. Otherwise, the amps would perform the same.

I LOVE my amp. It is L-O-U-D!!! Make no mistake, this is not an amp that
likes to practice in a bedroom. This amp is a stage killer, bar none.
The volume control, as you may have read on Harmony Central, is VERY
touchy when moving from setting 1 to 2. Somewhere in between, the amp
will jump from a whisper to a jet engine roar, complete with rattling
windows, tinkling china cabinets, etc. Without an in-depth mod, you just
have to accept the amp as she is, in this respect. Of course, I didn't
buy a 4X10 amp to practice with anyway, so this was never really a
concern.

On the stage, this amp dominates. With a full band of 2 guitars,
keyboard, bass and fanatical drummer, I usually keep it on 3-4. Not due
to feedback issues, but simply due to the fact that I'm drowning out 2
Marshall 4X12 half-stacks. As a harp player, I have never had an issue
with being too loud, until I got this amp. Nice!

I started out using my DeVille with my Kinder AFB+ anti-feedback box and
I could peg the volume control no problem. However, after switching the
preamp tubes to (L-R from the rear) 12AY7, 12AY7, 12AX7, I have not had
any feedback issues with the amp in normal situations. So, I could
recommend the amp to anyone with reasonable confidence that a simple
tube swap would make the amp quite flexible and accommodating for most
styles and situations.

I usually play mine through the normal (lower gain) input, bright switch
"OFF". The cool thing about the DeVille is that by engaging the "Drive"
channel, and cranking the gain knob to about 9, the amp will sound like
a big, fat tweed Champ. It will brake up like a Champ, but have the
fullness of a 4X10. Roll the bass knob way down and you will get the
same effect without the "fatness".

Again, I love this amp for everything it lets me do. It really is as
close as I've ever come to the perfect do-it-all amp. It's clean, it's
dirty, it's fat, it's thin, it's modern, it's retro, etc. And the thing
to think about is that if you try it and it isn't for you: (1) You
didn't pay an arm and a leg for it and (2) It is always in demand by
guitarists. Selling it will not involve the issues that selling a
dedicated harp amp would pose.

I say give it a try. I'd be happy to answer any further questions
off-list if you have any.

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL