Re: [Harp-L] corner switching question

 -----Original Message-----

From: John F. Potts <hvyj@xxxxxxx>

 But, when i switch and try to play a single note on the left side, i inevitably get some leakage on the right side, causing one (or more) of the holes I am trying to block to sound.  i just don't seem to have the coordination to keep them completely blocked when i tongue switch to play a single hole on the left.?
?

Anyone have any suggestions  about how to work on this??

I had the same problem and overcame it by practice time spent on this endeavor. It didn't fix itself overnight and at times felt frustrating.

Biggest obstacle to overcome was to learn to relax in the midst of the frustration. Letting go of all muscle tension not essentially needed to create the result you want will remove the air leakage.

Start by playing inhale octaves blocking holes 2, 3 letting inhale 1,4 sound. Then, try hitting 1 and 4 alternately without changing your embouchure. Relax all muscles and the tongue. You can alternate w/TB sound in between if this is the style you play. (It's actually the beginning of that Turn Around idea so frequently used in Chicago Blues harp by a lot of the ODBG's). Once you feel that it under control, reverse your air direction and do it on the exhale.

The Iceman