[Harp-L] Slow Boat to China

I'm trying to learn this tune on diatonic purely as a bend exercise
and excuse to play a great melody that isn't normally heard on a harp. I'm
doing it in first position (starts on the 2 blow). The entire head can be
played on holes 2 through 6 without any OBs but there are some totally
exposed two and three hole draw bends that need to be hit perfectly or it
sounds like crap.

There must be someone else out there who's taken a swipe at this number. Any
suggestions for other positions besides first? Or maybe this would be a
reason to try an alternate tuning.

I'm using Charlie Parker's version as my model. Listen to it here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Charlie+Parker/_/Slow+Boat+to+China

BTW, I'm sure it can and has been played on chromatic but that's not what
I'm after. Let me revel in my diatonic lunacy.  So, any of you jazz blowers
out there care to wade in on this one?

tom albanese

http://www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal