Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Content, Meta-Content

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:34 AM, Tall Paul wrote:

This is in response to both posts below (and I have been working 14 hour days

Wow someone who has a real job.

so haven't had time to read the Harp-L posts after this one, so if it was supposed to have stopped, I apologize, but don't think I am out of line here):

If you want to be better at anything, you have to be willing to take criticism. The criticism thrown at Nicky Shane has been valid. If you're going to claim to be some great player, be on TV, be in the Guiness Book, you better have the chops to back it up. It's not about being inclusive and loving everyone. When you step up like he did, you gotta be playing something, and most people agreed that he wasn't (maybe I just can't hear that fast). Michael is right, when you coddle people, you are not bringing out their potential. I have a sports background, and I was taught at an early age, if the coach wasn't on your case and yelling at you, he didn't care if you got better or not. When I have been at SPAH, I have learned the most from people like Michael Peloquin who will give praise, but also tell you where you are not getting a concept or just don't get it, and he doesn't always sugar-coat it to make you feel all fuzzy inside. I enjoy having
Michael be the 'tough love guy' because even though it may hurt the ego at the moment, it makes me a better player if I learn from it. Michael summed it up way better than I have, so re-read his post down below. Thank you Michael for being an inspiration for me and continuing to make yourself available to anyone who goes to SPAH and isn't afraid of being told something other than 'you're the best harmonica player I've ever heard'

Paul

I also think that Michael is "Da REAL deal", and he (along with Randy Singer, and only about a dozen or so of you) are reasons why I still go to the conventions. Otherwise, I would have quit a long time ago. 'Tough Love Guy' is a great description. It's people like Michael that keep me coming back. I just love the aura people like Michael put out.
They ooze personality. (Just like you Paul). I don't know how this makes me look, but I don't care.

smo-joe