[Harp-L] Re: "Take the A Train" [again]

I agree with Rob P that corner switching helps a lot with "A Train." For that matter, it helps a lot with many swing and bebop heads, which often change direction frequently and jump a 4th or more in the process.

Some folks on this list may remember that I posted a link to a solo performance of "A Night in Tunisia" a while ago. The point of that recording was exactly that corner switching is the way to go on those twisty high-speed melodies.

How about Gillespie's "Salt Peanuts," which makes 8th note octave leaps back and forth? Or Monk's "Straight No Chaser"? You can do that kind of stuff without corner switching, but it takes better synapses and motor skills than I have on most days.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter