From: Bill <bill.eborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Question for Rob P or anyone else who plays chrom and diatonic
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, February 21, 2009, 11:19 AM

I've been meaning to ask someone who plays both diatonic and chromatic this
for a while.  I find that since I've been playing chromatic (it's only
been a few months but i'm working hard and it feels like i'm getting
somewhere with it) my diatonic embouchure is all over the place and it's had
a really negative effect on my tone and i hate the sound I'm making.  Partly
I think this was because I found I was breathing differently, so i consciously
addressed that but i have real problems adjusting between the two.  My hope when
I started to learn the chrom was that i would be able to switch between the two
but the way things are that's not going to happen as i find that i have to
practice for ages to get my diatonic technique back.  Does anyone have any tips?

I think of myself as a reasonably advanced player in that i can play
chromatically on the diatonic on the mid range harps from 2 blow up and can make
a good stab at All The Things You Are - it's a lot more fun and sounds a lot
nicer on the chrom but if someone wanted me to play to something like Watermelon
Man or Cantaloupe Island etc I think I'd always rather do that on the
diatonic.

I like the idea as Rob says of twice the joy and twice the money!

I've tried A Train on the diatonic in first by the way and failed miserably
- it's a pig!

Thanks

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paparozzi"