Re: [Harp-L] NEED INFO ON JAMS IN MEMPHIS

Mike wanted to know:

I'm headed to Memphis?on Feb 23?to spend a week.? Anybody suggest any good quality blues jam sessions?? If not, any particularly great clubs to hear
some real deal blues?? I'm headed also to Ground Zero, etc. in Clarksdale, MS, and maybe Tupelo, but will spend most of my time in Memphis.

Six of us just spent 4 days there- our first time in Memphis and we loved it!

We didn't have a car so we we're confined to downtown
so we missed Interstate BBQ, but we were 2 blocks from Beale.

I couldn't find a place to sit in or jam in the downtown area. Beale St. has its regular acts each night in the clubs- I'm not shy about getting up there on stage and I had harps with me but it didn't seem like the right time
or place. I bet they have had a ton of bad players over the years getting up and messing up so I don't think
it is particularly welcome down on Beale.

Check out the band at the Rum Boogie- Stax style horns, and real good.

Beale was jammed on Sat and Friday, but very quiet
Sun and Mon.  Good brews at the Tap House.

Make sure you visit Sun Studio, its not all about Elvis-
I loved the Rock and Soul Museum- music Memphis Style- but where was Noah Lewis and Will Shade along
with Memphis Minnie?

The whole place is on a continuous blues track going on,
music everywhere! like at the Flying Fish-  po' boys and
oysters....

Neely's for ribs (near Sun Studios) and Gus's Chicken
on Front St.---it is the best we ever had, ever....

I'm going back to Memphis- didn't have time for Stax
records and a whole lot of other stuff- We ran out of time to do all we wanted to do.

Dan