Re: [Harp-L] REASONS NOT TO GO TO SPAH

On Feb 16, 2009, at 3:09 AM, Randy Singer wrote:

I cannot think of any reasons NOT TO GO TO SPAH!!!

The NSA. Certain airports (Newark, Denver, Tampa, Heath Row) have:, and I hate this word, 'snotty' people working the intake lines. Others (Miami, Ft. Myers, Cincinnatti, Milwaukee, Columbus, St. Louis, Dallas, Sarasota) are not too bad

Can you think of any reasons not to attend at least one spah?

No, personally, I feel that one should attend at least every other year (if finances permit).

Let me put it this way, going to SPAH for the last 18 years has helped propel my harmonica playing, introduced me to some of the finest individuals on the planet

Yeah, like YOU

and helped me to dedicate my life to the harmonica.

Well, now hold on a minute there. lolol

Meeting people like Pete, Dick Gardner, Blackie, Bonfiglio, Paparozzi, Howard, etc is priceless and life changing.

Let me hear from you.......if you have any stories how you overcame adversity to attend SPAH, please feel free to post them.

Here is one story, totally true from me (as good as how the harmonica saved me from a mugging in Paris a few years ago--True).

No one tries to mug me overseas. I dress like Gestapo and look like a shady sleazy bum.

Back when I was living in Nashville in the early "80's, Pete Pedersen decided to throw a Harmonica Convention in Memphis ( I do not recall the exact year). It was to be a spectacular event with Howard Levy (whom I had just started a learning experience personally with him) as well as other harmonica illuminaries.

I had approximately zero dollars at the time, so I finagled a way.....i bartered with Pete to get in to the convention by volunteering....hmmmmm
but I had no money for a hotel room.

So, I drove to Memphis and slept in my car.....not just any car, but one of those cars you do not want to sleep in. I slept in my Nissan 300zx.

Hold the phone. You had NO dollars but you were driving a zx. I was driving a little Ford Tempo.

You know the one--- the two seater with the long exposed trunk that gives you a few inches over your head when you lay down in it. Kind of like sleeping in a coffin. Here is a photo of that prized tiny car, my harmoniCar.

www.dragtimes.com/ Nissan-300ZX-Timeslip-10495...

Plus, it was freezing!!!!!!!!!!!! I slept fitfully every night in the back of the car in the parking lot in a sleeping bag.

Thankfully i was able to steal a shower or too.

Ooooh, you had me scared there. Yeah, showers are nice.

This convention was incredible and it changed my life. Forever glad I went.

Me too, I was there. It WAS one for the books.

So, damn the torpedoes, spah is full speed ahead.

I hope to see everyone there, the economy just needs more harmonica players....):):

Best,

randy singer

My major gripe with spahs has been hashed out in the past, so I won't go into it again, but the HOTEL is a major factor and can put a damper on your whole experience. I found (so far) the Milwaukee and the 2 Memphis' to be the best. The Hotels are usually set away from activity. But in Milwaukee, the people in the area were friendly. In Memphis, there were outside activities.