Re: [Harp-L] Open mic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Power" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 11:12:20 AM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: [Harp-L] Open mic

I just went to an open mic night, hoping to sit in on a couple songs. I
asked the first harp player if I needed an amp and mike to sit in. He said
that he and the other 2 harp players always bring their own equipment. Is
that common practice? Could he have let me sit in using his mike and amp? Or
should I just bring a mic and amp next time?

Thanks,

Unhappy I didn¹t get to play tonight....
-
Ok Randy, that jam is doomed to failure. The whole purpose of a jam is to keep a flow of customers coming into an establishment. They can't depend on regulars only because there will be some nights when various people can't make it. I.e. daughter's birthday, picking someone up at the airport, cold/flu, car trouble. AND jammers bring friends/family. It's good business.

These 3 harp players bring their own equipment? Doesn't the house have a PA?. Just use their mic. As for the harp players, they were just like you once and were tickled pinkish to get THEIR chance. Somewhere along the line, they heard that they were decent players and now they are into themselves. They bring their own stuff because they are intent on projecting their OWN sound. Ergo, it's all about them.

They are busy thinking about themselves and are thinking internally. You became an external distraction. There are 3 of THEM and you are a 5th wheel. He/they COULD have accommodated you. They SHOULD have accommodated you. That's what a jam IS. Whose running this jam anyway. It couldn't possible be them, could it? At our jams everyone plays. It doesn't matter how good or rotten you are. We're there for YOU. We're PROMOTING music instead of merely using it for our own gratification.

Now, here's your catch 22. IF you complain to the management, it will only alienate them (maybe the band are friends?). If you DON't push. you're out in the cold. This is one of the reasons why I never went pro. You have to put up with too much bovine excretia over too many years, tolerate too many people who suffer from 'Anus Orifice Affliction'. Some call this paying your dues.

Not trying to be arrogant here, but I call it insulting.

smokey-joe (valet to the Punjab of JavaPour)
-